Tuesday, January 28, 2014

the Kumquat experiance


It started with just another trip to Safeway to get a few things for lunches. While Tim and I strolled down the produce isle to look for some apples, there we saw them, sitting in a small black basket right behind a huge stack of fruit. They were so cute! (About the size of half of a thumb) What were these peculiar things? My first thought “baby oranges?” They looked just like an orange, but mini size. Tim and I were curious about these little guys, so we decided to check them out. As we approached the basket of unknowns, Tim immediately snatched one up to his puzzled face to smell and examine. Meanwhile, I was searching for the label to unravel the mystery of what these strange oranges were. To our surprise they weren’t oranges at all, but were called Kumquats? This was the first time I had ever seen or heard of anything like this. Kumquat? How strange? Tim was still looking at one, as he asked “how do you eat this thing?” We couldn’t fight our curiosity, so we decided to buy a few to try out. At this point, we weren’t even sure if they were edible. We had to do some research to figure out what these Kumquat things were used for. Of course, we found that they were edible, as a matter of fact; you just pop the whole kumquat into your mouth, peel and all. Supposedly the peel was what made this fruit sweet.

 

I still have yet to taste my kumquat, but the excitement builds inside me as I think about what it might taste like. Tim and I told each other we wouldn’t try it without each other. There is always something so exciting about trying something new. Sometimes it is actually kind of scary because what if you end up hating it? But then again, what if you love it? One should not let fear of trying something new stop them from trying it, because what if it turned out to be amazing?

No comments:

Post a Comment